The most important key to a successful spray tan is care for your skin before and after application.
Preparing of a Sunless Application
- Exfoliate skin at least 24 hours before your sunless tan.
- Shave at least 24 hours before your sunless session.
- Any waxing should be done 24-48 hours before session.
- Apply moderate amount moisturizer up to 2 hours before session.
- Do not apply oils, oil-based or alcohol-based products at any time prior to or after sunless tan.
- Do not apply deodorant if arms are being tanned.
- Solution will stain fabrics. Bring dark, loose-fitting clothing and flip flops to wear after your tan session.
After the Sunless Application
Wait until the instructed time after the spray session to shower and only use warm water (no soaps or body washes). This will allow ample time for the tan to react and fully develop. It is normal to see color runoff in the shower, this is only the cosmetic bronzer and has no affect on your tan.
- Be patient! Wait to shower – rinse with warm water- according to directions.
- Do not apply moisturizer until after until after your first shower. Applying at any time before could cause streaking.
- Avoid sweating until after your first shower
- Moisturize daily and use post-tan products during the life of your spray tan. This will preserve your tan for as long as possible and ensure it fades evenly. A sunless tan can last anywhere from 3-10 days with proper maintenance.
- When in the sun, remember to use sunscreen.
Products to avoid:
- Bar soaps
- Waxing, hair removal products
- Body hair bleaching products
- Alcohol-based and Witch-Hazel based skin toners. This can dramatically lighten your tan.
- Daily heavy exercise or excessive sweating
- Submersion in long baths, hot tubs or swimming pools
- Body spray, perfumes and bug sprays